> What do you call *verified* opt-in (what the marketers call "double opt-in"),
> where the recipient needs to comfirm that they gave permission for contact
> via that email address before receiving any content, in order to avoid
> unwanted third-party subscriptions?

Confirmed opt-in, which is what it was called back at MAPS and when we launched
SuretyMail.

Even there we have granular breakdowns, such as:

127.3.100.8     All mailing list mail is at least opt-in, and has a confirmed
(double) opt-in mechanism available, used less than 50% of the time
127.3.100.9     All mailing list mail is at least opt-in, and has a confirmed
(double) opt-in mechanism available, used more than 50% of the time
127.3.100.10    All mailing list mail is confirmed (double) opt-in

---

(Note that we include the 'double' term (even though I feel I have to shower
after typing it) because that is the vernacular with which more senders are
familiar.

Also note that there are data response codes that we would, in fact, almost
never (if ever) use, but which are *great* for applicant screening - so for
example if an applicant says:

"Accepts unverified sign-ups such as through web page" (which is one of our
codes)

...they are never actually going to get certified (unless we can educate them
and they actually change their wicked ways).

You can see the full list of codes here:

http://www.isipp.com/email-accreditation/about-the-codes/list-of-codes/

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell,
Attorney at Law
CEO/President,
SuretyMail Email Reputation Certification and Inbox Delivery Assistance
http://www.SuretyMail.com/
http://www.SuretyMail.eu/

Attorney at Law / Legislative Consultant