On 24 Jan 2018, at 14:59 (-0500), David Jones wrote:

On 01/24/2018 01:33 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
On 24 Jan 2018, at 9:12, David Jones wrote:

What does everyone think about slowly increasing the score for SPF_NONE and SPF_FAIL over time in the SA rulesets to force the awareness and importance of proper SPF?

-1

In every real mailstream I've worked with in the lifetime of SPF, lack of SPF has *always* had a correlation with ham, not spam.

I am not suggesting that SPF_PASS = ham and SPF_FAIL = spam.

I did not think or say that you were.

You are proposing that SA as a project should *act as if* these correlations exist and are steadily becoming stronger:

1. Mail with an envelope sender domain that has no SPF record is more likely to be spam than the overall mail stream.

2. Mail whose envelope sender domain has a published SPF record which repudiates the sending IP is more likely to be spam than the overall mail stream.

I don't see evidence that either of those are true now, that they have ever been true, or that they are becoming closer to true over time.

SPF hard failures are a more complicated case because the sort of spam that hits SPF_FAIL tends to come from IPs that show up in good DNSBLs within a few minutes, making it hard for a site using DNSBLs to know how much of it there is. With that caveat, I see more ham hitting SPF_FAIL than I do spam where SPF_FAIL (which I have locally nailed at 2.0) is a decisive factor. Most SPF_FAIL spam scores well into double digits here.

I am proposing that if SPF were more accurately deployed then SPF_FAIL would be worth something.

That is a truism but what you are proposing is that SA should behave as if SPF deployment is becoming broader and more accurate steadily over time, as a sort of sympathetic magic to drive that improvement.

I am saying that history implies that this would not work as hoped.

Also, it is a bad precedent for project policy.Slowly rising SA scores don't exert any pressure on a sender with broken SPF until they actually cause mail to be dropped or rejected. We should not be intentionally increasing false positives no matter how noble the end goal.

Individual sites obviously can make that choice on their own, now. For example, on my own personal system I would very likely see some FPs due to my unjustifiably high fixed score for SPF_FAIL, were it not for other bespoke tweaks which make actually effective FPs extremely unlikely.

We could whitelist_auth more trusted senders and then be able to turn up the scores for the rest of the mail flow.

If the huge SA community around the world were to help push SPF adoption and accurate deployments, then we could move on to DKIM too. Right now, the best option we have is to get DMARC properly deployed as much as possible where p=reject actually rejects the message unlike SPF_FAIL that we can't trust.

SA is not the vehicle for such pressure. What has been driving careful DMARC deployment is not the long tail of sites with <10k users using SA, it is the handful of behemoth providers plus some key commercial and government systems that honor p=reject. This was also the strongest driver for SPF adoption, until those behemoths recognized how flawed SPF & DKIM alone were and came up with DMARC as a "solution" with the unsurprising side effect of damaging traditional discussion mailing lists.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole