On Wed, 23 Sep 2020, Jerry Malcolm wrote:

On 9/23/2020 12:46 PM, John Hardin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020, Jerry Malcolm wrote:

I am sending test emails from one of my hosting environments to another of my hosting environments.  I get this line in the SA report:

1.6 FORGED_MUA_MOZILLA     Forged mail pretending to be from Mozilla

I am sending from Thunderbird.  So it's coming from Mozilla. But it is not forged mail pretending to be from Mozilla.
What is triggering this?

  meta FORGED_MUA_MOZILLA    (__MOZILLA_MUA && !__UNUSABLE_MSGID && !__MOZILLA_MSGID)

It doesn't believe the Message-ID was generated by Thunderbird. What's the message ID?

Thanks.  That makes sense.  But it just adds to my problems.   I am pulling my hair out on trying to get a clean send that gmail, outlook, and others will accept.  I have an Apache JAMES server. When I send to mail-tester.com I get a 10 out of 10 clean bill of heath.  But gmail, outlook, and a bunch of other MTAs won't accept it and bounce it back (with no reason attached).  I'm hosting on AWS.  So the recommendation was to proxy my outbound mail through AWS's SES server so it appeared that the mail came from 'trusted' Amazon.

Now I realize that Amazon changes the message id, and I get this 'forged' flag.

It's possible that the rule needs an exception for that case. Would you zip up a sample for me in private mail, with all headers intact?

I'm delivering mail for a very large company where unsuccessful mail
delivery to the recipients can be catastrophic.

So, gmail etc. are rejecting the messages from your James server? Or is this a broader issue with general email? If you like, you can send some test messages to me directly and we'll see what happens.

 jhar...@impsec.org                         pgpk -a jhar...@impsec.org
  the Internal Revenue Service has an "impressive history ... of
  storing [data] carelessly, leaking data through every possible
  conduit, and hiring employees who appear to only marginally prefer
  a career in tax collection over knocking over liquor stores."
                                            -- Reason's J.D. Tuccille
 41 days until the Presidential Election