OP is running SA 3.1.7, which has a limit of 250000 bytes. The problem
now is where to actually put the -s config. We're using daemontools for
the qmail processes, and it is not obvious, in fact I can't find any run
file that contains a reference to spamc, to be able to give it
commandline options.

I have found runtime options for spamd in /etc/init.d/spamassassin, but
spamd doesn't have the same options. In fact it doesn't have a max
message size setting at all.

<confused>