confabulated:

SNIP
> > > How big is the email ?  By default spamd won't scan anything over
> 255k
> >
> > Is it spamd that has the default? I know for sure spamc has the
> default
> > set to 500Kb (at least in the latest release):
> >
> >    %man spamc
> >    -s max_size, --max-size=max_size
> >       Set the maximum message size which will be sent to spamd --
any
> >       bigger than this threshold and the message will be returned
> unpro-
> >       cessed (default: 500 KB).  If spamc gets handed a message
bigger
> >       than this, it won't be passed to spamd.  The maximum message
> size
> >       is 256 MB.
> >
> > I don't recall the OP stating what version of SA was running.
> >
> > -----
> >   _|_
> > |_| |
>
> OP is running SA 3.1.7, which has a limit of 250000 bytes. The problem
> now is where to actually put the -s config. We're using daemontools
for
> the qmail processes, and it is not obvious, in fact I can't find any
run
> file that contains a reference to spamc, to be able to give it
> commandline options.
>
> I have found runtime options for spamd in /etc/init.d/spamassassin,
but
> spamd doesn't have the same options. In fact it doesn't have a max
> message size setting at all.
>
> <confused>

Ah HA!! Found the issue. We did not previously have a spamc.conf file on
our system. This ought to reside in /etc/mail/spamassassin by default.
Once I created this file, and reloaded Spamassassin, our max message
size has gone up to 350K

/etc/spamassassin/spamc.conf :
-s 350000

As easy as that