On 09.04.09 01:28, Mark wrote:
> Their rules DO seem a mite odd:
>
> "Also remember, according to Best Practises, having a reverse DNS that
> appears to be part of your upstream provider is not good enough for an
> email server. adsl.23.204.205.upstream.com means that it is an IP address
> they are responsible for."
>
> 'Having a reverse DNS that appears to be part of your upstream provider'
> as opposed to what exactly? HELO? That's fixed easily enough. :) What they
> seem to say, if I read them correctly, is that they'll reject when it
> looks to be from a dynamic pool belonging to upstream.com.

Well, there's no "adsl", no part of IP, nothing that would indicate the
address being dynamic. Generic, maybe. Dynamic, no way.

> > And if I'd send mail from a0.fantomas.cust.gts.sk, would it?
>
> Well, that's the thing, ain't it? As opposed to what? If your PTR were
> 'a0.fantomas.cust.gts.sk' and you sent mail with HELO
> 'fantomas.fantomas.sk'? More likely, they'd just reject on the 'cust'
> part, or the digits.

Their page does not say anything about the HELO string. The IP (of the
format above, ok, let's say it's a0.fantomas.ba.cust.gts.sk) is now
registered as dynamic and does not follow the "reverse hostname naming
convention".

> > Even if that record would be listed in SPF?
>
> SPF checks against the envelope-from domain part (or HELO, in certain
> circumstances). So, with SPF you could authorize 'a0.fantomas.cust.gts.sk'
> to send mail on behalf of 'fantomas.sk', but that will not prevent Spam
> Rats from identifying 'a0.fantomas.cust.gts.sk' as appearing to be part
> of your upstream provider; so they'd probably reject the connection
> anyway.

That's the question. I do not object against listing of a spammer, but
dynamic? naming convention? Will they block host if it spams, if it sends
mail from gmail com and the hostname is qw-out-1920.google.com which looks
like their upstream provider?

OK, I don't want to bitch, I'm searching for some valid informations, mostly
about their "best practices".
99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.