On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Tara Natanson wrote:

Hello,

I work for Constant Contact.  We take reports of spam very seriously.
Complaints are processed through our abuse@ address but you won't ever
hear what happened to it there other than an auto-ack.  If you'd like
to send me any complaints I can let you know what became of them.  We
have a very large compliance and list review group who investigates
the complaints and speaks with customers about where their lists came
from etc..  Of course we do a lot of preprocessing of their lists when
they upload them so we can detect bad senders before they even mail.
Obviously some gets through (or we wouldn't be having this
conversation) and for that we rely on complaints/bounce
rates/unsubscribe rates to point us to the problems.

Tara:

May I suggest a feature for your website: a way for someone to find out exactly which of the mailing lists you process contain a given email address, and a way to unsubscribe or report abuse in bulk (e.g. in a grid)? In other words, a way to visit your website and see _all_ of the lists sending to my email address.

I suggest you do _not_ use passwords or force registration for someone to access this. You could append a URI with a unique-to-the-recipient ID code to every mail sent (similar to "unsubscribe" or "report abuse" links), and that link would bring up the review page on your website for the recipient's email address.

You could also have a spot on your website to enter an email address and have such a link sent to that email address, so that if I wanted to review I wouldn't have to have an email from one of your clients handy.

  Taking my gun away because I *might* shoot someone is like cutting
  my tongue out because I *might* yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
                                                  -- Peter Venetoklis
 15 days since a sunspot last seen - EPA blames CO2 emissions