On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 16:25 -0400, Adam Katz wrote:

> My own proposal to fixing this is to bring back Blue Security's
> do-not-email list, which is to say a freely available index of secure
> hashes representing email addresses that have opted out of bulk email.
>  (Recall that the controversial aspect of Blue Security's methods is
> what they did to violators, which I'm not touching here.)

The other problem with it is that it can be used to scrub lists and get
a set of real users who don't want spam.  There is no guarantee that
spammers will be ethical and remove the DNE recipients - they may find a
better return throwing out the addresses that don't match...

And then there are hash collisions...