On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:59:57 +0100, "corpus.defero"
<corpus.def...@idnet.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 16:50 +0100, Nigel Frankcom wrote:
>
>> We're on a BT only exchange here so it's them or nothing, well not
>> quite, I could go CoLo... hmmm maybe not, or satellite, I was involved
>> in setting that up in Cyprus.
>
>> Nigel
>Is there such a thing? I appreciate many are not unbundled, but the BTW
>agreement means you should have no problems getting a wires-only with
>someone like Zen, IDNET or Newnet. Believe me, the service just pee's
>over BT.

Fair point. I live in a small village right on the end of a spur.
After being burgled at my town offices I moved the whole dammed
shebang home and now run it from my own server room.

BT may not be the best, but they (or rather OpenReach) own the lines,
exchange and pretty much all else... plus they have helped.

If I go through a third party I end up with at least one more level of
'have you re-booted your router' etc.

Bottom line, I'd rather solve a problem than work round it. As it
happens I have a second IP off the range that I could have used, but
that would have meant a lot of DNS work etc (and DNS and I are not
good friends).

IMHO solving is better than blaming. My original post was a request
for advice and help. I got a lot of both... plus a lot of opinion.

Kind regards

Nigel