Here's the problem:

I have a single mail server (not commercial) using sendmail to accept incoming mail from all sources, and filtering using spamassassin. It also accepts mail from roaming users - encrypted mail using port 465 and authenticating users with SASL, and is expected to relay this. It all works fine except that the trusted mail goes through the milter like any other, and if it's coming from a dodgy location there's a danger that SA will block it. (This happens - sent from a WiFi hotspot, non-static DSL or mobile network that's been blacklisted everywhere).

Is there an easy way I can treat trusted mail differently?

I can't say it's IP address is trusted - I'm out and about with a laptop using dynamic IP addresses (okay, I could VPN if Android supported it and...)

I can't easily check the Received: header in SA to determine if it's from a local trusted user (see thread "Rule matching in a wrapped header").

I can see how to solve this using two or more servers, or running sendmail in a jail or other crazy ideas. But surely this must be a common problem with an easy solution - I just can't find one! Can anyone please enlighten me before I crack, and end up writing YA replacement for sendmail? Or if this is a trivial problem with one of these new-fangled MTAs that sound almost a complicated, but a less familiar than sendmail? After 20 years I'm almost okay with Sendmail and don't want to start again without a good reason.

Thanks, Frank.

--
Sent from my Cray XT5