On 04/10/2011 23:45, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:10 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
This question comes up enough so that it ought to be in the FAQ.
While I believe a FAQ does really not help all that much on and by
itself, but instead serves as a handy place to point people to...

Now solved! The solution is really simple but I'll collate all the facts and write it up properly.

The quick answer is to add "InputMailFilters=" into the DaemonOptions line of the sendmail or .cf or .mc file.

You'll end up with a line something like:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=SSLMTA, M=sa, InputMailFilters=')dnl

Each Daemon has it's own options INCLUDING the set of filters it uses - in other words, confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS isn't the only game in town. The example above simply sets the list of filters to null. I haven't found this documented anywhere yet, but it seems to work. Many thanks to PR in France, who emailed me this vital piece of the jigsaw.

This obviously won't work if your using STARTTLS as an on port 25, but that's a bit of a bodge anyway. If you're going to upload mail from a public WiFi you should be using SSL and authentication, and port 25 will probably be blocked anyway, so having to use 465 and forcing authentication on (M=a) is no hardship.

Thanks to everyone who's helped get this sorted.

Regards, Frank.

--
Sent from my Cray XT5