Thanks a lot for your reply

> Run: sa-update -D 2>&1| grep DIR

> That will output something like:
>
> Feb  9 12:08:49.609 [20855] dbg: generic: Perl 5.010001, PREFIX=/usr,
> DEF_RULES_DIR=/usr/share/spamassassin, LOCAL_RULES_DIR=/etc/spamassassin,
> LOCAL_STATE_DIR=/var/lib/spamassassin
>
> On this system, sa-update downloads rules to /var/lib/spamassassin, so I
> guess you're looking for the LOCAL_STATE_DIR.

OK, makes sense.  Mine is the same as yours.

> That directory will contain a directory related to your SA version,
> something like 3.003001, which will contain updates_spamassassin_org, which
> will contain the files defining all the rules.

Hmm, in there I find TWO directories:

 3.002005
 3.003001

Strangely, both have dates of today, but the *contents* of 3.002005 are from
Apr 3 2011.  So I guess my system uses 3.003001 since it's files are dated
currently

Wonder if I can delete the older one

> Although that doesn't necessarily tell you which are enabled by default.
> Some require configuration changes.

Hm, well is there a file or somewhere to look and see what rules are active?

> I believe for SPF you *should* be doing the detecting at your MTA
> (mail server software) and inserting a header for spamassassin to use:
> Received-SPF.  (Because SPF is supposed to use the "envelope from",
> which is not necessarily included in a header.)

I see. That makes sense. Is there a wiki page suggesting solutions for this?
Anyone know of tips for doing this in postfix? Or during amavis processing?

>>  From that page, it seems that SPF checks are normal
>>  but DKIM is not. Is this right?
>>
>>  Contrary to that, this page suggests that DKIM test are
>>  enabled by default in version 3.3:
>>
>>  https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Plugin/DKIM
>
> I don't have anything in my /etc/spamassassin/local.cf related to DKIM, and
> I'm getting DKIM rule hits, so I agree that DKIM is enabled by default
> (although I'm running trunk / v3.4.0 which is unreleased).

Me too. I sent emails to myself from Yahoo and Gmail and got these in my
Gmail: DKIM_SIGNED,DKIM_VALID,DKIM_VALID_AU
Yahoo: DKIM_ADSP_CUSTOM_MED,DKIM_SIGNED,T_DKIM_INVALID

(that last one is interesting - not sure how the message gets altered to break
the signature, especially if Gmail works fine (running SA from Maildrop))

> I believe SPF tests are also enabled by default, but won't do quite the
> right thing unless you're inserting the Received-SPF header at your MTA.

Well I guess so because I see no SPF hits and I think at least Gmail uses SPF.
I'd appreciate any tips on getting those headers inserted.

> None of the SPF or DKIM rules are particularly highly ranked in
> spamassassin rule QA, so I wouldn't actually expect significant
> improvements in accuracy from it:
> http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/?daterev=20120204
> They both have some substantial flaws.

I'm OK with that (have been weary about their limitations and not always 100%
sure about using either of them on my domains), and it's actually the reason
I'm asking about SA support for them because I would never want to use either
of them to outright block mail.Just some influence on SA scoring is good.