> Q: Will some rules not fire if some condition exists based on other rules?
>
> A: Correct.  There are plenty of rules that build on other rules.  We call
> these
> meta rules.

OK, but:

Q: Are there any default rules as supplied by sa-update that would
prevent SPF rules from firing?

Q: Any other ideas on how to learn what rules are actually being used?

Q: Any suggestions as to why SPF rules would not fire on a
Gmail message where Gmail uses SPF, my SPF plugin and rule
initiation seem to be in place, and a Return-Path header with the
envelope from address exists?  (please see my previous messages
on this thread)