>>>  Q: Will some rules not fire if some condition exists based on other
>>> rules?
>>>
>>>  A: Correct.  There are plenty of rules that build on other rules.  We
>>> call these
>>>  meta rules.
>>
>> Q: Are there any default rules as supplied by sa-update that would
>> prevent SPF rules from firing?
>
> you can disable SPF or clear all scores

The question was *as supplied by sa-update*

>> Q: Any other ideas on how to learn what rules are actually being used?
>
> huh?

Please read the rest of this thread.

>> Q: Any suggestions as to why SPF rules would not fire on a
>> Gmail message where Gmail uses SPF, my SPF plugin and rule
>> initiation seem to be in place, and a Return-Path header with the
>> envelope from address exists?  (please see my previous messages
>> on this thread)
>
> I haven't found the headers in apache archive, maybe I didn't search
> carefully enough,

I recommend gmane.org

> but it's misconfigured trusted_networks and
> internal_networks what causes SPF to misfire...

Thank you sincerely for your help. I can only imagine that SPF wouldn't fire if
I accidentally specified Google in one of those settings or had an error in one
of them. In this case, those are at their defaults of empty, so I'm hoping
there are other suggestions. Thanks again..