On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Ben Johnson wrote:

It may be academic at this point, but I'm now curious as to what causes
the DB file to be recreated, if not restarting Amavis. (It bears mention
that plenty of mail came in between using the "--clear" switch and when
using the "--dump" switch began to produce valid [all-zero] output. In
other words, the DB didn't seem to be recreated when the first message
was received after clearing the old DB and restarting Amavis.)

That I couldn't say, as I have no experience with Amavis. Somebody else may chime in, or you could ask that on the Amavis list. There might be an Amavis FAQ on how to properly reset the bayes database when using Amavis.

  USMC Rules of Gunfighting #20: The faster you finish the fight,
  the less shot you will get.
 8 days until the 1933rd anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii