On 8/17/2012 10:56 AM, Ben Johnson wrote:
On 8/16/2012 2:00 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:
In any event, at this point, I'm confused as to which user account I
should be using when executing "sa-learn --spam", for example.

As a bit of background, I'm using ISPConfig 3, which implements virtual
mailbox users via MySQL.

I dug through the mailing list archive and found
http://spamassassin.1065346.n5.nabble.com/Problem-with-sa-learn-and-virtual-user-td44666.html
, which seems to be relevant.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if I should be using the "amavis" user to
learn ham/spam, or individual mailbox user accounts.

If it is possible to use either, are there pros and cons of which one
should be aware before settling on an approach?

As I mentioned previously, I would like to set-up "LearnHam" and
"LearnSpam" folders for each IMAP user, eventually, so perhaps this
answers my question?

Thanks again for all the help!
John Hardin, sorry to bust you up here... just curious whether or not
you saw the rest of my previous note. If you didn't address these
questions intentionally, then please ignore me. :)

Basically, I need to do something about the spam inundation, as soon as
possible.

Is there any reason that I should NOT be performing the sa-learn
training under the "amavis" user account? Would doing so preclude me
from creating training folders for individual IMAP users in the future?
Or can I train under the "amavis" user for now and then "layer-on"
training for individual IMAP users in the future without undesirable
consequences?

The quickest way I know of to reduce spam is to reject mail at the MTA based on the zen.spamhaus.org blacklist. I have been using this for a few years now. It blocks lots of spam and I haven't had any problems with it.

You can also implement graylisting, although it will slow down mail delivery from new senders, which may or may not be an issue for you. I haven't tried it, but lots of people swear by it.

As for Bayes, Amavis uses a single user for spam scanning. This means that Bayes will use a single database (under the "amavis" user). You may be able to get individual databases via SQL, but I'm not sure about that.

--
Bowie