On Sat, 2014-05-31 at 17:39 +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 02:48 +0200, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> > A quick googlin' brings up spamassassin 3.3.2-18.fc20 for Fedora 20, in
> > a single package shipping both spamc and spamd in /usr/bin.
>
> After deleting and reinstalling (yum install spamassassin) I now have
> spamassassin.i686 3.3.2-18.fc20 installed but with no apparent effect:
> it is running these versions:
>
> # spamd --version
> SpamAssassin Server version 3.3.2
>   running on Perl 5.18.2
>   with SSL support (IO::Socket::SSL 1.955)
>   with zlib support (Compress::Zlib 2.062)
> # spamc --version
> SpamAssassin Client version 3.2.4

$ which -a spamc

The Fedora spamassassin 3.3.2 RPM you just installed does ship spamc
in /usr/bin. The version mismatch persists, so there is another spamc
from a different source early in your $PATH.

Use 'rpm -qf <file>' to find out which package it belongs to, if any.

In either case, packaged or built from source, we're chasing something
in your environment or system which you are obviously unaware of.
Assuming you are the only one administrating that system: Without
pointing fingers, the system has to be considered dirty.

Given that still unexplained version mismatch, it is not unlikely there
are bad installations of Perl libraries, too. Might be time to install
the system fresh...

> The testsa script looks like this:

> state=$(spamdstatus)
> if [ "$state" == 'spamd is stopped' ]
> then
>       sudo systemctl start spamassassin.service
> fi

Most likely unrelated, though this code might potentially mess with
spamd unnoticed. I'd get rid of that part while debugging the issue, or
at least make it clearly print a warning.

> Obviously something is wrong, but should this be raised on the Fedora
> Bugzilla or would it be better raised within the SA project?

I suggest to first try to reproduce the issue on a fresh installed
system.

Apart from that, the issue surfaced after a system upgrade, without any
SA code changed. Makes the distro the more likely place for reporting.