I've copied a few of your responses (without including any names) and sent
them to support at lunarpages. And maybe it's due to that that after six+
months of battling with them, I now get this from their support.

The user_prefs file exists under your account, in
/home/-----/.spamassassin; you
can download (via FTP) the file, edit it via your favorite text editor
then upload
it back without needing SSH access and yes, the file is under your control
and can
be used to tweak the general SpamAssassin configuration on a 'per account
basis'.

Whatever their reason, now I guess they've thrown the problem back to me.
As I've mentioned before I really dont have the time or desire to learn
what it takes to tweak Spam Assassin.

Is there any sort of file online that I can download and use, one that
might be more up to date to deal with current spam tricks?

Andy