Yves Goergen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for a few months I'm getting lots of Polish spam to one of my e-mail
> addresses, sometimes a dozen per day. I have no idea what it's telling
> me, I don't understand a single word. I just recognise characteristic
> characters to know the language. Some messages have a .pl domain as
> sender address, others not. The sending hosts have all kinds of TLDs.
> Most messages have only a very short or empty body (a few words at
> maximum). Almost all messages contain a .zip attachment, often named
> like *_JPG.zip or *.pdf.zip. It doesn't seem to contain malware caught
> by clamav, but I haven't looked into any of these archives yet.

These are almost certainly viruses.  Upload one or two of the .zip files
to virustotal.com to check against a long list of AV scanners.

Any Windows executable that I find in a .zip file attached to a random
message I automatically consider very suspect at best.  I don't waste
time trying to find out what the executable actually does, I just add a
basic hash signature to ClamAV and move on.  I've nearly given up on
reporting these upstream to the ClamAV maintainers as well;  I've got
samples closing on two years old that still aren't flagged by stock
signatures.  :/

-kgd