On 03/27/2015 07:13 PM, Amir Caspi wrote:
On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgr...@pccc.com>
wrote:

I'm happy to look at a recent sample and throw it through my system
to see what it hits but overall, I've been seeing the exact
opposite.

So, one of my users has been getting dozens (sometimes nearly 100)
FNs per DAY over the last few weeks.  Even though many of these
emails are hitting BAYES_999, they are not hitting any other
non-negligible scoring rules.  I have set BAYES_99 + BAYES_999 to a
combined score of 4.9 because I don't want it to be a complete poison
pill, but this is contributing to something like 50% of the FNs
(where only BAYES_999 is contributing to the score because no other
rules are hitting).  The other 50% are not getting high-enough Bayes
scores, but even then, many still don't hit many (or any) other
scoring rules so that they would still have this problem even if they
scored BAYES_999.  In many cases, it would appear that he is getting
a "fresh batch" that hasn't yet hit the RBLs or hash DBs, which is
why even with BAYES_999 they don't score over the 5.0 threshold...
it's causing some severe inbox unpleasantness.

I've been trying to come up with some good URI template rules to
block many of these but spammers are getting sufficiently generic in
their URIs that I worry strongly about FPs for these.  I haven't been
able to identify any other distinctive markers in the template
against which I can reliably write rules, although I also don't have
a program that does strong comparisons to look for patterns (I'm just
doing this by eye).

I have his spam corpus of a few thousand messages... simple Bayes
training doesn't seem to help, so some sort of template matching
would really be useful here, but as I said, I haven't really found
anything that I feel comfortable writing rules against without
significant risk of FPs.

Might anyone have some ideas?

This is getting to be a serious issue for this user and I'm getting
complaints...

- Please post missed spam samples in pastebin.com - do not post samples to mailing lists