On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM, svenk1 <bob.tro...@ketchum.com> wrote:

> Les - It is an older Centos 4.8 install.  I ran yum install subversion and
> copied the repository directory to the new server.  I tried the import
> because I didnt have dumps.  I don't know what I am doing.
> I tried the dump but got the same message
> svnadmin dump /svn
> svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version '5'
>
> Dave - I just installed subversion by running yum install subversion on this
> older centos 4.8 install.
>
> Is there a way I can tell what version the repository is?  I would prefer to
> install the same version to avoid conflicts with the older OS.

CentOS 4.x is _extremely_ old.  For some things, stability is a good
thing, but with subversion newer is better.  And apparently someone
had installed a newer version of subversion on the old box, which is
causing part of your problem now (although it would not have been a
good thing for your 'import' command to have worked either).    Unless
you have other apps that have to stay on 4.8, I'd recommend installing
 Centos 6.2 at this point which should come with a usable 1.6 version
of subversion.   If you have to stay on 4.8, look at Rpmforge or other
3rd party yum package repositories for a more current subversion to
match what you had been running.  Once you install a subversion that
is at least as new as the one that created the repository it should be
able to use it directly, but I'd probably still go through the motions
of the dump/load to give it a chance to use the most efficient format.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikes...@gmail.com