On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM, svenk1 <bob.tro...@ketchum.com> wrote:

> Hello.  I've read through some threads, but it seems that the scenarios
> assume I have valid repo dumps.  I do not.
>
> What I have is a new server, and the backups of the old server.  I installed
> what I can only assume is a much newer version of subversion on the new
> server.  I copied my repo directory to the new server and tried an import,
> which failed with svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version
> '5'.  In fact, it says that no matter what svn command I put in.
>
> I am running "svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)"
>
> Can anyone please point me down the right path?

You have the exact opposite problem of the one you think you have.
Your old server was running a modern version of Subversion and so the
created repositories have format 5.

Your new server has an ancient version of Subversion that is unable to
read the newer format.

Upgrade the Subversion binaries on your new server and you will be all
set.  The current version is 1.7.3, but using a 1.6.x version would
also be OK.  Do not use anything older than that.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/