Hi,

nice to see what others are making. We use T5 to build different kinds of
systems for public and private sectors, but mainly budgeting and enterprise
resource planning and monitoring software. Currently we have 4 T5 systems in
production all in different client's environments, and two more projects are
nearing release almost immediately.

Our software typically integrates to multiple other systems, like personnel
registries, data warehouses, salary systems, reporting systems etc. to
combine all the wonderful data already present in most companies and to
present it in usable and efficient way. The number of systems, old and new
that are in use in a typical firm is overwhelming..

We'll anyway T5 has proven to be stable, doesn't require much resources to
do it's tasks and is easy and reliable to integrate to almost anything. The
most important thing to us is that T5 allows us, you could even say directs
us, to architect our systems easily and well, it supports us to write
easy-to-understand code by removing all that clutter and exposes only the
real things we wish to do, which directly means less code, which directly
means quality and reduced costs (the drop of unsuccesfull code inspections
etc.) lowered bug fix times etc. And we can also sell cheaper in the first
place and win more cases, as development times have dropped.

Also it can be seen that the developers who work with T5 are more motivated
and happy with their work than those that are still stuck maintaining old
Struts and servlet stuff. This cannot be calculated and is hard to prove,
but there is definitely that trend: whether developer maintains or creates
new functionality with Struts (or asp.net) they usually start with "why me,
couldn't xxx do it", where as with T5 software it usually is "ok, let's go
through the specs..."

Before we have used Struts, plain servlets, T4 and we still use asp.net / C#
for clients that require it, and so far there just is no match for T5 when
software must be developed with minimum cost, but still to the standard and
professionally. (Which, in my opinion, excludes all scripting languages.)

There definitely is learning curve (as with any new technology), but in my
opinion it definitely is worth it.

Our end products aren't that attractive or flashy, and most of the sites are
intranet-only software anyway so I don't have any sites to provide. I also
don't have any hard numbers to back my statements that I can publish, but I
do know that the projects we sold two years ago would be sold for about
10-20% cheaper today. (And I mean technical development time, not the
overall price to which I have no access.) If we would change back to using
old technologies we would have to add 10-20% to our work estimates. Also the
customer benefits: the bought software is less error prone, easier to
maintain and develop further.

Tapestry 5 is no silver bullet, you still have to think before you code, but
it does clearly add value. We are 100% committed to Tapestry 5 and will be
using and recommending it for upcoming projects.

 - Ville

Ps. What I stated above is my experience in the firm I work for. On top of
that I have developed wholesale trade software system on my own for
orientimport.fi, which makes 7th system that uses T5 that I've build.
(Currently only static website, in about month there should be the real
system online.)