This problem has been gone for us for a while, today it came back when
deploying our app to a jboss server (5.0.1) with embedded tomcat. I
immediately started searching for javassist.jar duplicates. Found
javassist.jar in jboss/lib, jboss/client and <myapp>/WEB-INF/lib.

Jboss wouldn't start up without the one in jboss/lib, so I removed all but
that one. Now it started, and my T5 app works, but the error in one specific
component is still there: java.io.IOException: invalid constant type: 121.
It always happens with the same component. The component works in most
configurations, just not on our jboss server setup with embedded tomcat.

I then replaced the javassist.jar in jboss/lib with a fresh 3.9.0, like
specified in this thread. Now Jboss won't start up, nothing happens in the
log when I try to start it

We will continue working on this this week, as this is a major problem for
us. Hopefully, you're right about it being a javassist.jar duplicate issue.
But so far, I haven't found anything pointing in that direction.

Inge