This was actually it.
A 'hidden' antiquated version of javassist somewhere on the classpath AND
(as later turned out) a project that did not want to be placed on the
classpath (via the classpath settings in the launcher of Eclipse Galileo).

Finally got the whole thing stopping on my breakpoint again ..

I guess it all has to do with the infamous medal ansd its two sides. Having
all the libs available is a good thing but it might also be lurking behind a
tree with dubious intentions .. ;-)

Thx to the list for getting me on my way again.