I was using 5.3 alpha in production up until a couple of days, and when I changed the settings in the pom.xml to include latest beta, and rebuild, the behaviour changed and invalidated several pages in run-time.

The problem is that suddenly errors occured in run-time, stating that some components were missing.
Different components in different pages.
This happened on all pages where I commented out some components.

In all previous versions if I wanted to temporary hide a component, for example an ActionLink, it was enough to just put it in comments in the TML. But with 5.3 Beta this will issue an exception that the component is missing.

Is this intentional?

Because in production (without live reload), one will have to change the source and recompile and redeploy. Much much more complicated day-to-day life, than before.