Part of Tapestry's philosophy is lazy loading of pages and components
on an as-needed basis. This has good points and bad points ... good
points are very fast startup which I find very important.  The bad
side is that a lot of checks occur when the page is lazily loaded
(when first needed), and some things people want (such as a @Path
annotation on pages to control the URL for that page) aren't possible.

Further, if Tapestry did all the checks at startup, before the first
request, you would not have a good place to report the errors ...
errors logged to the console are not nearly as nice as the full
exception report page.

A thought: a built in page that, when it renders, identifies and loads
all pages in the application, which should flesh out most of the
errors in most pages. So the "PageCatalog" page would either generate
a list of all pages, or an exception report for the first error

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210