> if Tapestry did all the checks at startup, before the first
> request, you would not have a good place to report the errors ...

If you wanted to go down this line you could have a filter in place
that redirected you to an error reporting page if any errors were
recorded at startup.

I do something similar with a Configuration Module I have - all config
is loaded on startup and any errors recorded. When attempting to
access any page, if config errors were detected, you're sent to a
Config Error page where you're enlightened of your mistakes. (Guru
Meditation Style!)

But by doing this, you effectively disable the whole app until the
errors are rectified - which may not desired behaviour.

Steve.