Just because you get an OOM error doesn't mean its a heap issue. See the faq for details:

http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html#why

-Tim

Leon Rosenberg wrote:
Hi,

sorry for OT, but since there is so much combined Java experience
here, it's the fastest way of getting an answer.

We have problems with 64bit java (on amd/debian64, with16GB real
memory). Regardsless how much memory we allow the vm (via -Xmx, -Xms)
it takes all it can (up to 34gb virtual memory, 16Gb real memory).
Since we have more than one VM running on the machine  (5VMs all below
1Gb ram) we are running in an outofmemory after a day of running.

Is this a bug? Are there any new undocumented switches for proper
memory configuration?