Mark,

On 1/9/17 6:57 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> There is the opportunity (if we can pull it together as a
> community) to run a dedicated Tomcat conference alongside ApacheCon
> NA 2017. The dates are May 16 to 18.

Interesting.

> The call for papers closes on Feb 11 so we have around a month to
> get organised. We'll also need to convince the conference
> organisers that a) there is a demand for this and b) we have a
> plan.
>
> Getting the right content is going to be critical to success. I've
> been thinking about this for a while and I think we can identify
> the right content

I have a single presentation submitted already for consideration. The
topic is "Let's Encrypt Apache Tomcat" ;)

I was also planning on reprising one of my previous presentations,
either the "Monitoring" or "Load-balancing" one, or possibly the
credential-handlers one. They have all been fairly well-attended in
the past.

If you wanted to really get a LOT of sessions going, I'd be willing to
do all of them, though it *is* a lot of talking.

> "What topic(s) need to be covered in a Tomcat conference to make it
> as easy as possible to get your employer to pay for you to
> attend?"
>
> We have up to three days and potentially multiple tracks so even if
> you think you have a niche requirement, please speak up. We
> typically have a number of Tomcat committers speaking at ApacheCon
> so finding someone to cover a particular topic shouldn't be too
> tricky. Equally, if you have a topic you could present on that you
> think others would find useful, speak up.
>
> Do feel free to add your +1 if someone else mentions a topic your
> are interested first. Having an idea of how popular the topics are
> would also be helpful.
>
> Also, we don't have to stick to the standard "Sit and listen to
> someone present for 40 mins" format. Discussions, workshops,
> hackathons are all possible.
>
> Some topic ideas to get the ball rolling.
>
> Hands-on workshop: Configuring TLS with Apache Tomcat

+0

> Reverse Proxying to Apache Tomcat Load-balancing with Apache
> Tomcat Clustering  with Apache Tomcat

+1 to all 3

> Tomcat Clinic (like the users list but with everyone in the same
> room)

Evidently, Daniel Rugguri tried this a few years ago with a "Let's
solve your mox_proxy problem" workshop, and literally nobody showed
up. I'm skeptical about a workshop for a few reasons:

1. Attendees might not have a "problem to solve" and therefore see a
workshop as a waste of their time.

2. Anyone with a problem to solve isn't going to wait-around for the
conference to get it solved.

Maybe we could instead have more like a live-demo of setting things up
from scratch. So it's not an AMA (AUA?) with a topic of e.g.
"custering" but instead have a session titled something like
"Clustering A - Z" where we build a live cluster while the audience
watches and asks questions in real time.

Jean-Frederic and I were musing in Austin (?) about getting a small
number of Raspberry Pi-type devices on the stage with activity/state
lights on them, build a cluster, and then start unplugging things to
show what actually happens when disaster strikes in your environment,
and how the cluster reacts.

I'm not sure that could be done in 1 hour, especially with all of the
questions we are likely to get or scenarios we might like to demonstrate
.