On 17/05/2021 03:55, Shuyang Wu wrote:
Hi Mark,

I've updated the "anonymous" contributors, and currently there are around
20 contributors in early 2012, and 90 for now (compared to 10/~60
separately before). Would those data be more reasonable?

I am afraid these figures are still very misleading.

Taking the year 2012 as an example, it shows no new contributors. A quick look at the changelog for Tomcat for 2012 shows that this is not the case. I very quickly found a handful of first time contributors and I only looked at a couple of months.

I would be interested to see what, if any, difference the switch from svn to git made but I don't see a way to generate that data short of manually processing the changelog entries (and I am not interested enough in the answer to want to do that right now).

For those that are interested, searching for "provided by <name>. (<asf-id>) should be a fairly reliable pattern for identifying names of contributors. You'll also need to look at (<asf-id>) as if the contributor was an ASF committer but not a Tomcat committer we'd normally recognise them that way.

Mark