Hi Charles,

> Neither one is correct.  You must NOT use the path attribute in a
> <Context> element unless the <Context> is defined in server.xml.  The
> URI path to the app is determined from the name of the .xml file in the
> conf/[engine]/[host] directory.

Thanks for the feedback and the correction.  OK - I have a very simple war
file named ROOT.war - it doesn't a META-INF directory.  I have placed a
file called ROOT.xml into conf/Catalina/localhost with:

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <Context debug="1">
      </Context>

Server.xml has the defaults that come with tomcat 5.5.17:

      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

I put ROOT.war into the webapps directory and start tomcat --> ROOT.war
isn't expanded.

Any other suggestions?  Or might this be a bug?

thanks for your help,

Andy

             "Caldarale,
             Charles R"
             <Chuck.Caldarale@                                          To
             unisys.com>               "Tomcat Users List"
                                       <users@tomcat.apache.org>
             17/10/2006 14:58                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: problems with unpacking
               "Tomcat Users           ROOT.war
                   List"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 che.org>

> From: Michael Courcy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: problems with unpacking ROOT.war
>
> Maybe a stupid clue but instead of
> <Context path="" debug="1">
> </Context>
>
> What happen if u try
> <Context path="/" debug="1">
> </Context>

Neither one is correct.  You must NOT use the path attribute in a
<Context> element unless the <Context> is defined in server.xml.  The
URI path to the app is determined from the name of the .xml file in the
conf/[engine]/[host] directory.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.