If your running fedora/redhat, it usually creates many symlinks and places
the actual files into different folders. The only reason this is done I
think is for flexibility. For instance with the server running my site now,
I have my webapp in a different home directory and created a symlink called
ROOT to point to my webapp. This allows my app to become the deault app
without having to do anything else. If you have ssh server running, I'll be
willing to login to your machine to provide some guidiance. Currently I use
not much more than but nautilus to administer my server.

On 1/3/07, Steve Ingraham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> ..... I am looking to copy everything in the /usr/local/src
directory.
>> So far I have not been able to see where anything associated with our

>> website resides outside the /src directory.  So, if that turns out to

>> be the case could I be confident that everything for the website
>> resides inside the /usr/local/src directory?

>The running instance of Tomcat indicates that it's in
/usr/local/tomcat, not /usr/local/src/...

>     -Dcatalina.home=/usr/local/tomcat

There is a link in /usr/local for "tomcat" that directs to
/usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9.  Is it important to have the
"tomcat" link set up this same way on the new server?  Is there a
specific reason why it would have been set up this way?

>> Mikolaj also mentioned JRE/JDK.  Hassan mentioned that there could be

>> a startup script in /etc/init.d that may nave information on where
the
>> JRE/JDK is.  There is not a startup script.  I have to manually
>> startup tomcat whenever this server is rebooted.

>That's, mmm, wierd. And awkward. :-) Is that a policy thing, or just
something no one's ever fixed?

It is not a policy issue.  I believe it is something no one setup.
Since I am the local tomcat "novice" I have not done anything about it
either.  I just have to remember to manually start tomcat when I reboot
the server (which I have had occasion to forget to do before).

>> What is the "/usr/local/java/. . ." referring to?  Is this needed for

>> the website?

>Absolutely; that's the JDK referred to above. `java -version` will tell
you which one; if it's 1.5.something you may want >to just download and
install the latest 1.5.x, rather than just copy.

Ok, well that resides in /usr/java/jdk-1.5.0.  Where can I download a
new version?  Is the download straightforward for a novice like me?  Or
do I need to read up on a thing or two before downloading?  The machine
I am attempting to move this to is running CentOS 4.0.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]