It is very simple to set-up, you just need to install the most recent
compatible JDK (you probably have this already)

then get the tar.gz file for the version of your choice from here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/

Set the JAVA_HOME the environment variable, it point's to JDK
installation's root folder.

I haven't installed anything on Linux, but on Windows XP I know that
if the zip download is unzipped to a particular directory, tomcat can
be started with startup.bat and stopped with shutdown.bat

In Linux, similarly I think you should be able to do the same with
startup.sh and shutdown.sh

After Tomcat is unzipped to a folder, set the CATALINA_HOME
environment variable to Tomcat installation's root folder.

That's it, you can then start Tomcat with startup.sh and access it at
http://localhost:8080/ by default, and remember to shut it down with
shutdown.sh and not CtrlC

Then, to see a simple JSP application, create a new folder under
Tomcat's webapps folder.
Put a JSP file with any text there. You can then access the JSP at
http://localhost:8080/SomeFolder/somefile.jsp , in this case
SomeFolder is known as the application's context.

Anything in the ROOT context appears immediately after the slash here:
http://localhost:8080/

The above covers the basics then, you can configure a Context XML file
for your app and set other advanced configuration --- most of it is
covered in the configuration docs but ask us if you have questions.

-Rashmi

On 4/18/07, John Calsbeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If I was in this situation, I would first try to run a webapp with a JSP on a
> standalone Tomcat (independent of any IDEs) and without mod_jk.
>
> The simple setup eliminates a lot of confusion :-)

I've never done this before. I haven't the first idea how to go about that. :)