Hi,

Thanks for the reply and have just tried your suggestion.

A dialogue box has appeared asking for a user name and password and saying
that the server localhost at Tomcat Manager Application requires a username
and password.

I did set up a user name and password for Tomcat and so assume that this has
been set by the Tomcat developers at Apache.

This would seem to indicate that Tomcat is working ok but doesn't yet help
me to use it.

Thanks for the suggestion that I should read up on building and packaging
web applications and this is what I am doing by using the Java for Dummies
book and the Skillsoft online training course. It was the Java for Dummies
book that recommended Tomcat so that I could test out my Java servlets and I
have followed the instructions in that book and the Tomcat documentation to
install Tomcat and to store my initial very simple servlet. But, as my
initial post indicated, the instructions on how to use Tomcat and to test
that it is working, do not seem to be correct.

Your answer & my test has, I think, indicate that Tomcat has been installed
correctly but I still don't know how to use it.

Further help and advice would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Pete