BoyePeter:

> I am running Windows XP Professional version 2002 SP 3 with all updates
> applied.
> I am running Internet Explorer v 7.0.5730.11.
> I have installed Java JDK 1.6.0_11 with the JRE from the same download.

Care to mention the Tomcat version you're using?

> I copied the servlet-api.jar to the JDK directory\jre\lib\ext.

Why?
Don't do that.

> I edited the c:\tomcat\conf\context.xml file to have <Context
> reloadable=true>.
> I edited the c:\tomcat\conf\web.exl file to un-comment the invoker entrie
> for <servlet> and <servlet_mappings>.

Why?
The Invoker Servlet is evil. It may be OK for a quick test but is a big
no-no for any installation reachable over the net.
I suggest you get used to create a webapp with a real deployment
descriptor instead.

> when I try to test the installation using the examples that come with tomcat
> using the URL http://localhost:8080/ I get the HTTP 400 Bad Request message.
>
> This tells me that IE was able to connect to the web server but the web page
> could not be found because of a problem with the address.

What do Tomcat's log messages show?
If you've not already done so, turn off IE's "friendly" error messages.

Regards
  mks