Hi mks,
I have installed Tomcat version 6.
I copied the servlet-api.jar to the JDK directory because, according to Java
for Dummies, it is needed to compile my servlets. If it is not there,
Eclipse reports errors when trying to import javax.servlet.* and when I try
to use "extends HttpServlet".

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am trying to learn how to program in
Java and I am trying to set up the test environment for this. I am not
trying to set up a Web Server for the internet. The books that I read and
the Tomcat documentation said to change the invoker stuff.

I had a look at the Tomcat logs but, being the novice that I am, they didn't
mean anything to me.

Not sure how to turn off IE's friendly messages nor what would be the result
if I did so.

Pete