Hello all,

I had an installation of ubuntu 8.04 that I recently upgraded to 9.10.  I
barely used it before the upgrade so the system was very close to a fresh
install of 8.04 before the upgrade.

I installed tomcat6 with apt-get.  After setting everything up, I checked
that I could access the "It works" default page from both inside my home
network and would accept outside connections.  Clicking the link for the
manager console prompted me for a username and password, but since I had not
yet made changes to tomcat-users.xml, it failed as expected.

I edited the file (/etc/tomcat6/tomcat-users.xml), uncommented the
"existing" users and added a manager role and a manager user with that
role.  Upon restarting the server, any attempt to connect to the server
locally or externally causes the browser to "spin" as if loading a page but
with no results.  I will sit and spin for hours if I let it (I have) without
timing out.

I have tried various permutations of users in the file, such as uncommenting
the original ones and not adding a manager role or user, adding the role to
one of the default users, etc, but the only way to get the index page to
actually load again is to comment out all users.

Web searches of this issue have only turned up instances of people not
realizing the users were commented out and editing the file anyway.

Also, /var/logs/tomcat6 does not contain any logs. I've used updatedb and
locate to verify that there aren't other tomcat-users files elsewhere.  I've
also been unable to locate an alternate log directory.

Thanks for any help the community can offer.  Enjoy your weekend,

paul