The standard Tomcat package from apache.org comes with an examples app pre-installed.
The various packagers (incl. Ubuntu) mangle Tomcat in a variety of ways.
Standard advice on this list for something like your situation seems to be is to first download a clean Tomcat package from apache.org, and install it in some other folder with a simple unzip.
Then see how it behaves, and make comparisons to your present install.