You might want to check the file permissions before and after you edit
it.  Something about this smells like a permissions issue.  I have a
Ubuntu 9.10 installed tomcat and it works perfect.  Admittedly I didn't
upgrade from 8.4 but w/ editing tomcat-user.xml being the only change,
there are only a couple of things to cause your issue:

1. File permissions changed
2. The edited xml file doesn't validate as xml.  There are a number of
xml editors out that can also validate.

--David