Thank you for the reply.  Do you mean the original installation of ubuntu or
tomcat?  I restored the tomcat settings back to the original state, but
cannot see that an examples app is pre-installed.  If it's something I need
to deploy myself, I'm not sure how to do that without access to the
management console.

If you meant the original 8.4 ubuntu, I was hoping to try other solutions
before doing that.  I'm completely willing to, as I'm not attached to
anything I've done, but since it's inconvenient I would rather wait.