> Cons:
> - steep learning curve

this really depends where you coming from.
For me wicket is simple, it feels natural.
Struts for example never did that for me.
Also tapestry that came close for me. But it still did itches.. still though
yeah close but not quite there.

Of course you need to learn API. And our api is not 10 classes thats true.
But in the end it is not that many: Page/Component, IModel, IBehavior ,
IValidatior, IConverter..
We only have many implementations of them :)

> - not a standard (this hinders adoption because of
>  bureaucratic and/or political reasons, though is bound to
>  give technical advantage. Think JPA annotations vs
>  Hibernate annotations)

But a standard has again other drawbacks.. Can you move fast forward?

> - newness, which shows in API instability (2.0 branch,

My guess is that with 1.3 we have settles large parts of the api.
For example the IModel/IBehavior/IValidator/IConverter are pretty stable at
least for the next version

>  hopefully getting resolved) and lack of recommended
>  practices (AJAX refresh srategies, chaining multiple
>  behaviors, editing Hibernate-persisted data, ...)

Chaining multiply behaviors is on my todo for the next version.
And what does have Hibernate-persisted data to do with wicket? Wicket (the
core) is a WebFramework
that only gives you options (like LoadableDetachableModel) for using
persisted data.

johan