> personally i am still in favor of going with the m2 way of doing things where
> Component is generic, but from the looks of the discussion i think i may be
> in the minority here.

Looking at the people who reacted, that seems to be the case. But the
reason why we ask people their opinion is of course to get an idea on
what involved users think, so I hope the discussion is somewhat
representative.

>  this kinda surprises me though because as i read the
> original generic discussion it sounded like most people supported
> Component<T>.

Well, the original discussion was more about whether to generify
Component in the first place. Because we got so many mixed reactions,
we looked for the third way, which is what m3 basically is.

So far, to me m3 looks like a good trade off that has the support of
the whole team and a decent amount of users. I'm afraid we can't make
everyone perfectly happy :-)

Cheers,

Eelco