Too many constrains? Really?
Just write a model that pull the image from whatever you want (even as
static object property for that matter). Just because the model is
serializable doesn't mean that the model object has to be
serializable. That's a big differece.

I've done a lot of JCR related work lately and the JCR objects (nodes,
items) are not serializable. But it doesn't cause any problem at all,
as I have a simple node model that is serializable and fetches the
node from JCR session if needed.

-Matej