Chris Moller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [...]
> and than some people have expressed a preference for:  The first is
> that it's clumsy.  When the utracer module loads, it creates a /proc
> pseudo-directory /proc/utrace and then a pseudo-file
> /proc/utrace/control.  [...]

FWIW, it'd make more sense to me if such a file was per-process
(under the /proc/$pid/) hierarchy.

> [...] Further, using /proc entries requires that the module keep
> appropriate structs for each of those entries and to close the
> entries and clean up the structs when the requesting app
> de-registers.  All cool except when the requesting app either
> crashes or the app writer just exits without bothering to
> de-register first [...]

This really should not be a problem.  The kernel tells you when a file
descriptor (such as /proc/$$/utrace) gets released, no matter the
cause.  No cooperation from the userspace clients is needed to
unregister, just close() or die.

- FChE