Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Chris Moller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]
and than some people have expressed a preference for:  The first is
that it's clumsy.  When the utracer module loads, it creates a /proc
pseudo-directory /proc/utrace and then a pseudo-file
/proc/utrace/control.  [...]

FWIW, it'd make more sense to me if such a file was per-process
(under the /proc/$pid/) hierarchy.

A single debugger app using utracer could control any number of processes and there could be any number of debugging apps using the utracer module. I needed one known location to which the apps could send register requests. That's why /proc/utrace/control is where it is--no one /proc/<pid> stands out as good top-level directory for the control entry. Also, following my self-imposed "First, be not intrusive." rule, I didn't want to tinker with the existing /proc/<pid> hierarchy.

--
Chris Moller

 I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but
 I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
     -- Robert McCloskey