Hi -

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:21:30AM -0400, Chris Moller wrote:
> [...]
> >FWIW, it'd make more sense to me if such a file was per-process
> >(under the /proc/$pid/) hierarchy.
>
> A single debugger app using utracer could control any number of
> processes and there could be any number of debugging apps using the
> utracer module.  [...]

It's not a big stretch to ask that such a debugger open N /proc/$$/ctl
files.  That makes it even more natural should the debugger need to
wait for an event on some subset of them: just a single
poll()/select() with the file descriptors.  In a way, it's nothing
more than implicitly passing a task_struct/pid, instead of explicitly
in a ioctl structure.  (You could go even farther plan-9-ey with
representing thread state as manipulable files.)

In any case, I'm sure Roland has a big steaming brain dump waiting
for us laying out his vision for user-space interfaces to utrace.

- FChE