On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcn...@mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> There have been several "scandalous" disagreements between Debian and
> upstream, such as Iceweasel and OpenSSL, but for the most part it was a
> bunch of little differences that bothered me (unfortunately, it's been
> so long since I've used it heavily that I can't remember specific
> examples other than the config file issue).

I know the FireFox issue is because the icon and FireFox image is not free
and hence Debian won't distribute it. I think OpenSSL was a licensing issue
as well, that it's license did not play well with some other license. This
has been the most frustrating with Debian, however it is nice to know that
if I don't use contrib or non-free that I'm not violating any licenses.
Those feelings only go so far as the two GUI desktops I have both have ATI
graphics cards and the ATI binary fglrx installed on them.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University