On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Aaron Toponce <aaron.topo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do you have another example besides Apache, because Debian adheres to
> the Unix filesystem locations more closely than others. Off the top of
> my head:
>
> Debian vs. RHEL
> /etc/default/ vs. /etc/sysconfig/
> /boot/grub/menu.lst vs. /boot/grub/grub.conf
> /etc/rc?.d/ vs. /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/
> /etc/init.d/ vs. /etc/rc.d/init.d/
> /var/www/ vs. /var/www/html/
>
> From my experience, it seems Debian is more vanilla than RHEL- or even
> SUSE-based distros.
>

>From my perspective, the problem is that the distribution shouldn't be
changing where a package puts stuff. If a package is doing something "wrong"
then they need to work with the upstream to fix it, if they just fix it
themselves, then when I go to the help files for grup, apache, etc, and they
say: edit the conf fine found here /path/path/path, and I go there, and it
isn't there..... AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH....... Why did my distro move
it?

This is part of the larger issue with debian "fixing" things themselves
instead of working with the package to fix things so everything is the same
across distros.

> I like the way Debian has changed Apache. Enabling and disabling sites
> and modules seems much more intuitive to me than how non-Debian-based
> operating systems handle it. Also, having an /etc/apache2/apache.conf
> makes more sense than /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. Isn't /etc/ for system
> configs? Why make yet another config directory beneath it? Just my
> opinion though.

See, this is the heart of the problem. I don't care if you "like" how they
changed things, they shouldn't be changing stuff willy nilly on their own.
If they have a suggestion about how to make apache better, they should be
working with apache to get their idea standard, not just sticking it in
because they think it is shiny.... That makes getting help or even
understanding what is going on a beast.

James

--
"And very early in the morning