Andrew McNabb wrote:
> Debian's file structure is actually my biggest complaint.  Most
> distributions try to follow the file locations from upstream.  Debian
> seems to frequently mangle file locations, which makes it harder to
> follow documentation from upstream projects.  Apache configuration
> files, for example, are completely mangled in Debian.  My opinion is
> that it would have been better for Debian to work with Apache to address
> their concerns about the layout of the configuration files.

Do you have another example besides Apache, because Debian adheres to
the Unix filesystem locations more closely than others. Off the top of
my head:

Debian vs. RHEL
/etc/default/ vs. /etc/sysconfig/
/boot/grub/menu.lst vs. /boot/grub/grub.conf
/etc/rc?.d/ vs. /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/
/etc/init.d/ vs. /etc/rc.d/init.d/
/var/www/ vs. /var/www/html/

From my experience, it seems Debian is more vanilla than RHEL- or even
SUSE-based distros.

I like the way Debian has changed Apache. Enabling and disabling sites
and modules seems much more intuitive to me than how non-Debian-based
operating systems handle it. Also, having an /etc/apache2/apache.conf
makes more sense than /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. Isn't /etc/ for system
configs? Why make yet another config directory beneath it? Just my
opinion though.

> I agree that FHS compliance is important, but I prefer the practice of
> working with upstream whenever possible.  Frankly, I can't think of any
> major FHS violations in Fedora right now (other than polkit, which is
> being fixed).  Uniformity within one distro is important, but uniformity
> between distributions is also important.

You would like Arch then. It takes upstream, writes a small config for
installing it, compiles and packages it. Rarely is anything patched,
added or changed. Simplicity is king with Arch, and its success is
showing many prefer that philosophy.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O